Canada’s Olympic Broadcast Consortium has announced its 2012 Olympic hosts and commentators. OMNI will broadcast coverage in Cantonese, Italian, Mandarin, Portuguese and Punjubi. ATN will provide coverage in Bengali, Hindi, Punjabi, Tamil and Urdu. Among the commentators are HNIC pubjabi play-by-play announcer Harnarayan Singh.
Here is the press release.
Canada’s Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium is pleased to announce its multilingual broadcast team for the London 2012 Olympic Games. In total, the Consortium’s multilingual broadcast partners OMNI Television and the Asian Television Network (ATN) will air 223 hours of coverage during the 17-day event with a 28-person broadcast team. The London 2012 Olympic Games takes place July 27 to August 12.
The Consortium’s broadcast team will deliver live event coverage in 11 different languages: Bangla, Cantonese, English, French, Hindi, Italian, Mandarin, Portuguese, Punjabi, Tamil, and Urdu. Olympic Games highlights will also air in news programs on OMNI Television.
As Canada’s broadcast leader in multilingual and multicultural programming, OMNI Television will deliver 103 hours of coverage in five different languages: Cantonese, Italian, Mandarin, Portuguese, and Punjabi. Their broadcast team consists of 23 commentators – a variety of studio hosts, play-by-play announcers, renowned sports analysts, athletes-turned-broadcasters, and news anchors – all dedicated to providing multilingual coverage of London 2012.
“Our outstanding broadcast team will deliver a unique experience, bringing the thrill of the Games in languages of comfort for OMNI Television audiences, along with inspiring stories for Canada’s multilingual communities,” said Madeline Ziniak, National President, OMNI Television.
The OMNI Television broadcast team is as follows:
- Cantonese: Alex Chum (Host), Fiona Law (Host), Raymond Li (Play-by-play, Badminton), Karen So (Host, Opening Ceremony), Paul Wan (Host), Ximing Yao (Analyst, Badminton)
- Italian: Dino Cavalluzzo, (Host), Giorgio Mitolo (Host)
- Mandarin: Wei Lee (Host), Gen Mei Liu (Analyst, Aquatics), YJ Liu (Analyst, Table Tennis), Shawn Wang (Host), Lisa Wu (Host), Ann Wang (Analyst, Aquatics), Tony Xiang (Analyst, Table Tennis), Bowen Zhang (Host, Opening and Closing Ceremonies)
- Portuguese: Lidia Ferreira (Host), Adalberto Thomaz (Play-by-play, Soccer)
- Punjabi: Surinder Pal Chahal (Analyst, Wrestling) , Nick Sandhu (Analyst, Field Hockey), Amarinder Singh (Play-by-Play, Field Hockey), Harnarayan Singh, (Play-by-Play, Wrestling), Jasdip Wahla (Host)
ATN, Canada’s largest South Asian broadcaster, will deliver 120 hours of Games coverage during the London 2012 Olympic Games in five different languages including: Bangla, Hindi, Punjabi, Tamil, and Urdu. ATN will have five full-time broadcasters during the Games.
“We consider it a privilege to partner with Canada’s Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium,” said Dr. Shan Chandrasekar, President and CEO of ATN. We are very proud to give our community this wonderful opportunity to cheer on the Canadian Olympic team and others from around the world to develop an appreciation for the Games. By offering badminton in Hindi, field hockey in Punjabi, athletics in Tamil, gymnastics in Urdu, and boxing in Bangla, we are at the forefront of multilingual sports coverage.”
The ATN broadcast team is as follows:
- Bengali: Suman Rahman (Play-by-play, Boxing and Gymnastics)
- Hindi: Rajinder Lamba (Play-by-play, Badminton)
- Punjabi: Amarjit Sangha (Play-by-play, Field Hockey and Weightlifting)
- Tamil: Vasakan Ratnathurai (Play-by-play, Athletics and Shooting)
- Urdu: Ashfaq Hussain (Play-by-play, Archery and Gymnastics)