Sportsnet, TSN With Lockout Specials
Just when you thought there wasn’t any hockey to show (jokes about TSN showing 25 year-old games can go here), TSN and Sportsnet have both come up with a special about the lack of hockey. The 30 minute “NHL on TSN: Showdown 2012″ special airs Thursday at 7:00pm ET. Then Sportsnet responds on Friday with a one hour “Hockey Central: Countdown to Shutdown” special. Total number of on-air personalities on TSN: seven. Total on Sportsnet: 17, including two ex-baseball player (Buck Martinez and Gregg Zaun). This could be a fake ad on Rick Mercer Report or 22 Minutes, but it isn’t. Continue after the break for both press releases.
With the fate of the 2012-13 NHL season hanging in the balance, TSN has Thursday’s NHL Board of Governors and NHLPA player meetings in New York covered from all angles with the network’s NHL ON TSN SHOWDOWN 2012 SECIAL at 7 p.m. ET.
TSN’s James Duthie hosts the live 30-minute special and is joined by Hockey Insiders Bob McKenzie, Darren Dreger and Pierre Lebrun, and analyst Aaron Ward to break down the critical meetings and provide insight into the proceedings occurring just two days before the league’s current collective bargaining agreement expires September 15.
Reporters Sara Orlesky and Ryan Rishaug are on site covering the NHL and NHLPA meetings for the NHL ON TSN SHOWDOWN 2012 SPECIAL and TSN’s key platforms and programs including SPORTSCENTRE, TSN.ca and TSN Radio.
TSN, TSN.ca and TSN Radio also have live breaking coverage of the NHL news conference following the Board of Governors meeting on Thursday, along with coverage of the NHLPA news conference.
With the clock ticking down to a potential NHL lockout, Sportsnet preps fans for the reality of a labour disruption withHOCKEY CENTRAL: Countdown to Shutdown, a one-hour special jam-packed with news, analysis, opinions, debates and solutions on Friday, Sept. 14 at 9 p.m. ET on Sportsnet ONE – on the eve of the expiry of the NHL collective bargaining agreement on Sept. 15.
Sportsnet’s world-class team of analysts, insiders and reporters – led by former NHL GMs, coaches and players, as well as award-winning journalists who lived and breathed the last NHL lockout in 2004-05 – will deliberate over the heated battle between the owners and players, plus take a deeper look at solving the impasse. Encore presentations of HOCKEY CENTRAL: Countdown to Shutdown will air on Sept. 14 at 11 p.m. ET on Sportsnet East and Ontario, Midnight MT on Sportsnet West and 11 p.m. PT on Sportsnet Pacific.
Below are the key details of Sportsnet’s HOCKEY CENTRAL: Countdown to Shutdown and additional CBA coverage on TV, digital, radio and print:
- Main Set Panel: Host Daren Millard is joined by former NHLer Brad May and insiders Scott Morrison and Mark Spector to assess the state of the labour negotiations
- Strategy Room: Host Jeff Marek leads a discussion on both sides of the labour fence with former Stanley Cup champions Nick Kypreos and Marty McSorley as well as former NHL executives Doug MacLean and Mike Keenan
- Who is Donald Fehr?: Host Jamie Campbell quarterbacks a conversation with Buck Martinez (former American League MLBPA Vice President) and Gregg Zaun (former MLBPA executive subcommittee member), who both played under Donald Fehr’s regime as executive director of the MLBPA. Martinez and Zaun will provide insight into the hardnosed negotiator sitting across from NHL commissioner Gary Bettman
- On-location: Reporter Christine Simpson joins insiders Michael Grange and John Shannon in New York to provide reports from the heart of the CBA negotiations
- Lockout Solution: Bob McCown and Stephen Brunt offer their definitive solution to avoiding a lockout
- Lockout Reflection: Morrison examines how the league, in eight short years since the lockout of 2004-05, is again on the verge of Armageddon with the NHLPA